This page has moved to a new address.

tsg - envelope tutorial

lime doodle: tsg - envelope tutorial

13 June 2012

tsg - envelope tutorial

I'm over at the There She Goes blog today and thought I'd share here too :)

We spend a lot of time and effort on our card fronts, some of us even spend a chunk of time and love on the insides of our cards but what about those first impressions - the envelope? We may not always like it, but we all know that first impressions count!

So to start off wtih today I'm going to look at making a custom envelope. I don't think I'm the only one that gets carried away in the card making process and ends up with die cuts hanging over the edge of the card making the card too big for a standard envelope! There are lots of tutorials out there but I'm just going to put into pictures the way that I do it. This method allows me to make envelopes to any size. Then to finish I'm going to take a quick look at spending just a few minutes to dress up the finished envie.

I chose to work with this card using the Oh Snap! stamp set.


When I made this card I used a die cut which overhang the right side of the card making it too big for my envelope. I chose to use grey bazzill card for the envelope for two reasons - the 12 x12 size gives me that bit of extra length for my envelope and the grey colour makes the score marks I make show up better for these photos.

Using the full 12 inch length of the cardstock, cut a width 4cm wider than your card.


Score the full length of the cardstock on each side leaving just a little larger space in the centre than your card width.


Score across your cardstock above and below your card leaving a small space either side. The top section becomes the flap, the middle section becomes the front of the envelope and the lower portion becomes the back of the envelope. You will see in a minute!


Cut away the four long thin rectangles from the corners of the cardstock.


Round all the corners apart from the bottom two. You will need to fold the top flap and bottom section to get access to the corners on the thin side pieces.


Cut a piece of patterned paper as a decorative liner and add to the inside of the envelope only glueing to the envelope flap. This allows for the liner to shift up and down slightly as the flap is opened and closed and stops bunching of the cardstock.


Check that your card snuggles nicely in the well of the envelope.


Add scortape to the inside two sides of the bottom section.


Fold in the two thin side flaps and remove the liner from the scortape. Fold up the bottom section so it sticks to the two flaps. VoilĂ  you have an envelope!


You can add a piece of scortape to the flap to seal the envelope or as I did here wrap a bit of twine around to keep the envelope closed. It looks cute and means the envelope can be used again. I also added another image from the Oh Snap! stamp set as a label on which to write the recipients name.


And here's the two together.


I hope you find this tutorial useful. I will be back on Friday with another post for There She Goes - Anything But A Card Friday (ABC Friday) :)

Labels:

15 Comments:

At 13 June 2012 at 05:21 , Blogger Cristina said...

Amazing card (love those colors) and amazing envelope tutorial. So simple, yet somehow I've never done this before. I especially love the tip about adhering only the top of the liner. Brilliant!

 
At 13 June 2012 at 05:50 , Blogger Jo said...

Awestome tutorial Debby. Thanks for sharing with us :)

 
At 13 June 2012 at 06:20 , Blogger Gayatri said...

Great card and awesome tutorial. Thanks for sharing Debbie! Great tips as well. Thanks so much. Got t0 try it today :)

 
At 13 June 2012 at 06:47 , Blogger Darnell said...

Very cool, Debbie, and very generous to share your talent and your time! It's a finishing touch that I don't often think to do, which is a shame because it's so much more special with the envelope. Thanks for the reminder and the "how to!"

 
At 13 June 2012 at 10:03 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fab card and a great tutorial! Tks so much for sharing! Now I know what to do with my odd size cards :) Appreciate your picture-by-picture tutue too!

 
At 13 June 2012 at 11:40 , Blogger maria f. said...

TFS.

 
At 13 June 2012 at 12:05 , Blogger Karen Dunbrook said...

great.....thanks so very much...you rock!

 
At 13 June 2012 at 13:09 , Blogger ~amy~ said...

LOVE this and fab tut!!!!

 
At 13 June 2012 at 14:45 , Blogger Julie S said...

Fabulous tutorial! Great, easy-to-follow instructions with equally useful photos. Thank you!

 
At 13 June 2012 at 19:18 , Blogger Denise@DigiHaven said...

Fantastic!! Thanks!

 
At 13 June 2012 at 23:28 , Blogger canadian_liner said...

Excellent tutorial and wonderful photography of same. I think the grey cardstock looks perfect with the card, and like the idea of tying the envelope closed (I do love twine!).
THanks,
C

 
At 14 June 2012 at 01:50 , Blogger Ger said...

Love this! Ger x.

 
At 15 June 2012 at 19:55 , Blogger donna mikasa said...

Hi Debby! Thanks for the heads up to your great tutorial! I'll be trying this out and will link back to you. Thank you again!

 
At 30 August 2012 at 18:56 , Blogger Waseem said...

Somehow i have never done this before...I appreciate you share it.Gift Card envelopes

 
At 6 September 2012 at 08:03 , Blogger shamraiz said...

Fabulous tutorial! Great, easy-to-follow instructions with equally useful photos. Thank you!Plastic Cards Printing
a way to solve many printing problems.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home